8.13.2012

Say WHAT?

There are some things that are simply better left unsaid. 
Things that you may think, but would never dare say...
except for some reason people forget this rule with babies.
I can't tell you how many times we have been out and someone has called tiny a "healthy" baby.
Just this weekend at the mall an older couple came up to us, tickled her toes and said to me
 "well you can tell she likes to eat".
Of course at the time I smiled and laughed along but inside I was thinking:
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? DID YOU JUST CALL MY TINY FAT?
And this is not the first time I have heard that. 
I will admit that she isn't a petite baby and tiny was never really that tiny,
but she her mother still has feelings.
So I've come up with a list of things that for whatever reason are cute to say to a baby (and I assure you we have heard them all) but please never attempt to say these to an adult!
  1. You really like to eat don't ya?
  2. Look at all those rolls.
  3. Look at those chubby cheeks.
  4. You sure are healthy looking...ok well this could be nice but not if you are using it the way others have used it with tiny.
  5. You are very well fed aren't you?
You can thank me later for steering you clear of any possible confrontations.
And don't forget...babies have feelings too! 

2 comments:

  1. I think Lucia is beautiful in every way!!! I do feel.ur pain but in the total opposite way. Soooo many people "ask" or comment on how small or thin Han is. I always hear "well she must not eat very well for u" or "shes ten months? She look like a 6 month baby" or i have even heard "my goodness! Shes so small for her age". All though these comments don't bother her they destroy my confidence as a mother sometimes. If it wasn't for my wonderful husband and great group of mommy friends i would be a wreck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks Lauren. I think she is perfect too but sometimes those comments get old. I don't think people mean to offend others when they say things but as a new mom it can make you feel like something is wrong! I guess it doesn't matter what size your baby is...people will say what they want, and I will just learn to tune it out! :)

    ReplyDelete